Aloha – Days 3 & 4

I’m writing this post after having returned home, but I wanted to chronicle my 3rd day in Hawaii, Monday, May 18th. We went to Pearl Harbor to visit the USS Arizona Memorial and that took most of the morning, so I wanted to blog about the trip. I desperately wanted to visit Pearl Harbor because one of my great-uncles served in WWII during this time and spent time there. He was only two days off from actually having been there during the attack and was on several navy ships involved in the campaigns subsequent to the Pearl Harbor attack. I have more about it on my genealogy blog for those who may be interested.

Our trip to the memorial went smoothly.  We took the bus from the hotel there, a trip that lasted a little more than an hour.  It was nice to take the bus though because we were able to see some of the city.  We arrived at 8:45 and got tickets for the 9:45 tour.  While waiting we spent time looking at the exhibits on site – there were all kinds of displays up that help in understanding the events of that day.  From the visitor’s center, you can see the USS Arizona memorial across the water.



From Hawaii 2009

At the start of the tour, we watched a documentary that was about 25 minutes long. It was highly interesting and informative and I want to see if I can buy the documentary.  Then, we were taken on a ferry across the water out to the memorial.

From Hawaii 2009

 The memorial was well set up and very respectful in setting.  It astounds me to think that more than 1100 men died almost instaneously as the ship was struck and sunk.   The memorial is positioned over the sunken ship but parts of the ship appear above water.  This is a picture of one of the gun torrents that is above the water.

From Hawaii 2009

 I am glad that I visited, it was a moving experience for me.  Now, after leaving the memorial, they ferry you back over to the visitor’s center.  We were short on time, so I did not stop back in the bookstore, but when I’d browsed earlier, there were a couple of books that I thought I may be interested in getting, so I’ll be sure to look them up. 

After getting back to the hotel, I was off to the conference for some official work stuff, and then in the afternoon did some school work.  For dinner though, we trekked to a hotel further down Wakiki Beach for Korean.  

The street we walked down, Kalakaua Avenue , to get there was crazy – one of my co-workers mentioned it was like Rodeo drive.  There were all kind of name brand shops as well as other interesting places like an International Market. We ended up at the Waikiki Resort Hotel for dinner at Seoul Jung Restaurant.

From Hawaii 2009

One of my coworkers is 1/4 Korean so she was able to explain the various dishes to us. I selected Kalbi Jjim for dinner, which was like a pot roast stew – it was good and it was hot!  It was boiling when they brought it out – I had to take a video of it.  Play the video clip to see it boiling.


After dinner, it was then time to head back to the hotel room and prepare for the presentation I had to do on Tuesday.  The presentation described some of the iniatives we have ongoing at my library and I shared with the attendees specifically our work on integrating our information resources into our informatics tools and systems.  Feedback was good I understand though I had to leave right away to catch my flight.  But, on the official MLA blog, a very positive post was made about our presentation that you can read here

So, after the presentation I came home – my flight was long and up until the end was good.  Towards the end of the first leg my ears refused to pop so pressure started to build up.  Between legs it started to subside, but started again with my last leg back to Nashville.  Have you ever had sustained pressure build up over several hours of flying? It is a horrible, horrible experience.   Even after getting off the plane the pressure was still pretty intense and it made me sick to my stomach.  I had to come home and sleep the pressure and pain was so bad.  

Overall though, the trip was good and I’m grateful for the chance to have gone and participated in the conference and see some of Hawaii.  Next month I’m off to Portland, Oregan for another business trip, and hopefully a side trip to San Francisco to visit a friend.