Over the weekend, I learned that TechSmith, the company that makes Snagit, a screen capture program, and Jing (another screen capture program and one I use often) has now released a Chrome extension and app for Snagit. Yeah!
Why am I so excited? Because I operate, as much as possible, in the cloud. Though I have a few programs I locally install, I try to avoid them in favor of apps and Chrome extensions as the latter provides much greater flexibility. Using apps and Chrome extensions makes it easy for me to do my work in a manner independent of a specific device. So far, I have not been thrilled by the various ways in which I do screen capture as I end up bouncing back and forth between 3 different tools – Awesome Screenshot, Windows Snipping Tool, and Jing.
But this week, Snagit for Chrome was released and I have installed it and so far, so good!
What I like about it?
- duh! it’s a chrome extension
- when you capture, the image is automatically saved to a Google Drive folder that gets newly created – so, I don’t have to take the extra step to hit a “save” button
- b/c the images are in my Google Drive – I have that folder linked to my Picasa Web and so I can manage photos in Picasa
- just like Jing, screen capture dimensions are shown as you take the capture
- just like Jing, there are tools to add text, shapes, and lines of different colors
- u can quickly get a URL for easy sharing and the url is automatically sent to your clipboard (thus, avoiding the need to hit Ctrl+C) – they get bonus points for using goo.gl URL shortner 🙂
- once you take the capture, if you start typing, your cursor is automatically in the title field to edit the image title
- the “app” part of it allows you to quickly access your image library in Google Chrome
What I would like next?
- the ability to crop images
- ability to save the image to clipboard (in case I want to quickly import in a presentation — the Windows Snipping Tool does this)
- ability to capture whole screen (below the fold) — Awesome Screenshot does this
- the ability to screencast
- would be nice to have a way to send to my Google online photo gallery (selecting a specific folder for it to go into)
Great job to the TechSmith team for making this available! So far so good and I eagerly look forward to future updates that will hopefully add extra functionality.