| 1884 - 1973|
||10 June 1884
||Craven County, North Carolina 
||13 April 1973
||Dover, Craven County, North Carolina [4, 5]
|Age: 86 |
|Cause: Coronary Occlusion. Also had Diabetes Mellitus. |
||22 April 1973
||Fort Barnwell, Craven County, North Carolina 
||27 Sep 2014 |
||Thomas Holloway, Jr., b. 1853, Wayne County, North Carolina |
||Polly Hood, b. Abt 1860, Wayne County, North Carolina , d. 16 July 1916, Fort Barnwell, Craven County, North Carolina |
||Barfield Koonce, b. 15 March 1886, Craven, North Carolina, United States , d. 10 April 1953, New Bern, Craven, North Carolina, United States |
||18 April 1903
||Craven, North Carolina, United States 
- one child died before 1910 (according to 1910 census)
- -they had a total of eleven children. Three preceded her in death.
| ||1. Hampton William Koonce, b. approx. 1907, North Carolina, United States , d. 23 June 1928, Woodington, Lenoir, North Carolina, United States |
|>||2. Mamie Jane Koonce, b. 8 February 1908, North Carolina , d. 19 May 1940|
|>||3. Floyd James Koonce, b. 20 February 1910, Winter Green, Craven, North Carolina, United States , d. October 1982, Camden, Camden, New Jersey, United States |
| ||4. Cleotus O. Koonce, b. 12 January 1913, Craven, North Carolina, United States , d. 6 January 1967 , Fort Barnwell, Craven, North Carolina, United States |
|>||5. Hazel Estella Koonce, b. 25 August 1914, Craven, North Carolina, United States , d. 02 Febrary 2009, Kinston, Lenoir, North Carolina, United States |
|>||6. Mary "Callonia" Koonce, b. 20 February 1918, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 10 March 2002|
|>||7. Harvey "Lamb" Koonce, Sr., b. 29 Mar 1920, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 11 Sept 1982, New York |
|>||8. Clarence Horten Koonce, b. 10 September 1922, Fort Barnwell, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 24 February 1988, Dover, Craven County, North Carolina |
|>||9. Leslie Ward Koonce, b. 15 March 1917, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 9 June 2009, Greenville, Pitt County, North Carolina |
|>||10. William Junior Koonce, Sr., b. 20 July 1929, Falling Creek, Lenoir County, North Carolina , d. 1 January 1976, Bronx, New York |
|>||11. H.O. Koonce|
||Barfield & Josephine House|
Fort Barnwell, NC. Picture from Google Maps
||Marriage Register: Barfield Koonce & Josephine Holloway|
Married in Township 3
Witnesses: R.A. Richardson, E.K. Huggins, J.L. Hawkins, and T.E. White
||4 Feb 2016 |
» Slide Show
||1900 Census - Third Township (Craven County), NC|
1) Polly, head, b. Jan 186?, age 39, 5 children and 5 children living
2) Callie, daughter, b. May 1879, age 21, mother of 2, 2 still living
3) Priscilla, daughter, b. Feb 1881, age 19
4) Josephine, daughter, b. Dec 1882, age 17
5) Daisy, daughter, b. Apr 1885, age 15
6) Minnie, daughter, b. Sept 188?, age 12
7) Lilla, granddaughter, b. Jun 1896, age 3
8) Penn (sp?), grandson, b. Apr 1899, age 1
Note: Lilla & Penn are Callie's kids.
||1910 Census Records|
Enumeration Date: 28 Apr 1910
Enumeration District: 16
Location: Cove, Craven County, NC
Barfield Koonce - Head (age 24)
Josephine - Wife (age 21)
Hampton W (?) - son (age 3) -- is the same "H" listed on 1920 census, but name is different.
Minnie J (?) - daugher (age 2) -- same as girl "M" in 1920 census, but name is different?
Flora - daughter - age 3 months.
Home: Township 3, Craven, NC
||1920 Census Records|
Barfield - Head (age 32) - this is a discrepancy
Josephine - wife (age 31)- discrepancy in age
Harvey W? - son (age 14)
daughter, (name starts with an M), age 11
Floyd - son (age 10)
Leotus - son (age 7)
Hazel - daughter (age 6)
Home: Township 3, Craven, North Carolina
|At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.|
||SS Form OAC-790: Josephine Holloway Koonce|
Born: 10 Jun 1884
Father listed at Jonath Hargett but I'm certain this in incorrect as somehow Hargett has been identified as her maiden name w/ Social Security.
||Death Certificate: Josephine (Holloway) Koonce|
Born: June 10, 1886
Informant: Clarence Koonce
Interment: Mitchell Cemetery
||Josephine Holloway Koonce Funeral Program.|
She reared 13 of her grandchildren: Milton, Gloria, Mary Lee, Leroy, Cassandra, Irvin, Brenda, Joseph, Adolph, Tryon, Veronica and Ella.
Funeral Home: Loftin Funeral Home
||Newspaper Obituary: Josephine Holloway Koonce|
Published in the 18 Apr 1973 issue of the New Bern Sun Journal.
- -served as Mother of the Church at St. John A.M.E. Zion Church until her health failed.
- Death certificate, funeral program, and headstone have 1886 as birth year, but b/c the SS form is dated prior to these documents, I am going with 1884.
- St. John A.M.E. Zion Church
- [S51] 1920 NC Census: Craven County (Twp 3).
- [S332] FamilySearch Family Tree.
- [S318] 1940 US Census .
Craven County, North Carolina - Township 3, Family 30, Sheet 4B, ED 25-11, Age 33. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KWS7-75H.
- [S2] Social Security Death Index (FamilySearch), 20 Sep 2006.
- [S3] North Carolina Death Collection 1908-2004. Ancestry.com, (Ancestry.com), 20 Sep 2006.
- [S8] Mitchell Cemetery , (Eastern North Carolina Genealogical Society) (Reliability: 3).
- [S183] Craven County Marriage Registers Index, (New Bern-Craven Public Library), http://is.gd/sXl..