I use a variety of online & smartphone tools/programs for my day-to-day & genealogy activities. I’ve decided to list them here, not only for my own sake, but just in case anyone else is interested.
- Doodle – online tool for scheduling groups
- Join.Me – for screensharing; free and paid versions. Read overview by Dick Eastman.
- Picasa – for my photo gallery
- PicMonkey - online photo editor. beautiful product!
- Pixlr.com – online photo editor; includes advanced features
- Zoom.It – allows you to zoom in on large photos. Learned about it from Mark Tucker.
- CamScanner – Android app. Use your phone as a scanner! Learned about it from Linda McCauley.
- Aviary – Chrome extension photo editor
Productivity (Email/Word Processing/Spreadsheets/Presentations)
- Boomerang for Gmail - helps manage email; love this one!
- FindBigMail - find the emails in your Gmail account that take up the most space
- Gliffy - web-based flowchart diagrams
- Google Drive - need I say more?
- Open Office – free productivity suite; similar to Microsoft Office
- PDF Escape - online PDF editing
- MergePDF – online merging of PDF files
- OtherInbox - Gmail application; automatically moves email from my inbox to specified labels.
- SlideRocket – cloud-based presentation creation
- Xobni – Gmail extension for smarter contacts management.
- Zoho – variety of productivity applications; cloud based
- Awesome Screenshot - chrome extension screen capture software
- ScreenCastOmatic - web-based screencasting; integrates well with social media accounts
- Screenr – web-based screencasting; also integrates with Twitter
- TweetDeck – Chrome extension for managing Twitter accounts; Android and iOS platforms
- HootSuite – for managing my Twitter stream; also use it on my Android OS phone
- WordPress – by far my favorite content management system/blogging software; free & open source
- FireFTP – Firefox extension ftp program
- Wappalyzer – tells you what technologies a website uses; extension for Firefox & Chrome
- Adblock Plus – Chrome extension that gets rid of pesky online ads
- ifttt – If This Then That – service that lets you create action items from specific triggers
- Loopr for YouTube - Chrome extension that adds a “loop” button to YouTube videos
- PIP YouTube - Picture in Picture Chrome extension
- FastFilm – download FamilySearch images in batch
Last updated: January 28, 2013